/co/niverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heroes, villains, other stuff that we don't care about.

HomePortalWikiLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

/co/niverse from here

Go down 
+2
Talk D. Preach
Agent 58664
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
O-Girl

O-Girl

Ultimate /co/niverse Character sheet
Hero Name: O-Girl
Alter Ego:
Main Power: Giant Monster

/co/niverse from here - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 11:14 am

And there were no survivors.
Back to top Go down
Agent 58664

Agent 58664

Hero Name: Agent 58664
Alter Ego: Chett Manstachio
Main Power: Darkforce Manipulation

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 12:06 am

O-Girl wrote:
And there were no survivors.

After the sweet, tender, yet passionate love affair between O-Girl and Tea Boy ended, it really was inevitable. There can't be life without love, O, there just can't
Back to top Go down
Zealot
Admin
Zealot

Hero Name: Zealot
Alter Ego:
Main Power: Superhuman Physiology

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 2:36 am

Yeah, well.
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:
Alter Ego: Talk D. Preach
Main Power: Being Preachy

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 11:51 pm

Soon.
Back to top Go down
Synapse

Synapse

Hero Name: Synapse
Alter Ego: Nicholas Eniac / Project S.Y.N.A.P.S.E. Mk III
Main Power: Cyber Mind

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 4:46 pm

Pack it in guys
We'll try it again during the Winter
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 8:47 pm

Finally, my 5 month long ass-whooping is mostly over.

Before I ensure the fulfillment of the Mayan prophecy, what's the plan here?
Back to top Go down
Synapse

Synapse

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 7:09 am

>implying there was ever a plan
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 10:18 pm

Synapse wrote:
>implying there was ever a plan

Then I'm unleashing a strain of crop that will destroy entire forests, dominate farm land, and completely suck the soil dry of nutrients faster than any other crop possible.

I call it:
Spoiler:

Is anyone else still around? I'm not going to pretend to be a villain if no one is going to pretend to care. Romney gave me plenty of material.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Synapse

Synapse

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 7:40 am

iunno
i wanna start this up again but too many people dropped out
it's hard doing this online because i can't guilt people into participating
feels bad man
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 10:43 pm

If you have to guilt people into doing it then there's no sense in doing it.

My professional(TM) opinion is you should seek out people with the same passion as you to work with.
Back to top Go down
Synapse

Synapse

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 7:08 am

that was a joke nigga

step it up
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Sounded about right to me.
I guess I just have shitty friends.
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 4:59 pm

December 22nd, 2012.

Well this was a disappointment.
Back to top Go down
Synapse

Synapse

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 3:40 am

My bad. Finals and shit, you know?
I think I have Signal's Skype and the Zealot's G-Mail. For the life of me I can't remember the other admin's name and I don't care to look it up. I could ask them if they want to restart this thing if you want.

Aside from that, if we started over would we use any of our old material as jumping off points?
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 6:31 pm

Synapse wrote:
My bad. Finals and shit, you know?
I think I have Signal's Skype and the Zealot's G-Mail. For the life of me I can't remember the other admin's name and I don't care to look it up. I could ask them if they want to restart this thing if you want.

Aside from that, if we started over would we use any of our old material as jumping off points?

I meant the fact that the world was still around. I was hoping for an ironic asteroid or something. Nihilist gonna nihilize.

The other one was Spook, and sure, go for it if you like. I wouldn't suggest relying heavily on old material. That's the sort of thing that makes fandoms/cults, which are notorious for keeping out newcomers, which is counterproductive.
Back to top Go down
Synapse

Synapse

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 1:01 am

I know, was just apologizing for disappearing suddenly.
Was hoping the world would end myself because I bombed a class but I guess I'll just retake it.

We need a point for starting, though. Narrow scenarios make it hard to jump in and no scenarios at all aren't welcoming.
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 5:31 pm

Synapse wrote:
I know, was just apologizing for disappearing suddenly.
Was hoping the world would end myself because I bombed a class but I guess I'll just retake it.

We need a point for starting, though. Narrow scenarios make it hard to jump in and no scenarios at all aren't welcoming.

Well the usual starting point is world building.

Setup the locations then a general scenario that encourages maybe more world building, or connection making, or exploration, something like that. In the pen and paper world it's called making a "hook". You make a plot point or character or setting that hooks the player's attention and makes them want to explore it. Instead of forcing the story to go that way, you make the players want to follow it that way.

With comics, (I haven't really researched it much, I just assumed this was the way it was from what I've seen) now there is a lot of cosmic stuff and gods popping up everywhere, but originally comics were more focused on street level and more relateable heroes, or at least a hero that is relateable in the sense that it is a common fantasy.

So I would suggest starting off with more down to Earth scenarios. With a grounded plot structure, the plot is naturally going to be integrated into relateable, everyday life things, meaning it's easy for a wide variety of people (characters) to get into.

Example:
Vault is a cripple that is looking into researching the metahuman menace. Because he can't walk he needed legmen, so he hired (PC/Player Character) detectives to do his dirty work. He was interested in metahuman research, so he contacted a PC scientist researching his own powers. Vault also noticed the police doing work with suppressing metahumans, so he worked his way in there, which opened him into situations involving a couple of PC hoodlums making a mess of town. The many hooks for interacting with other characters were generated through his grounded past as an accountant, which familiarized him with economic processes, which he used to connect with other characters that, logically, would also be connected to economic processes as contractors, parts of businesses or organizations, or as a man seeking funding, intellectual property, or a partnership.
Back to top Go down
Synapse

Synapse

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2012 10:30 pm

Comics did originally start street level and so did we, they only went up to cosmic level when power creep started happening, also when they needed to invent aliens to be a fight for Superman and the Hulk and shit.

We were doing that too, going City by city instead of country by country, however I suppose all of our world changing events didn't help our cause.

Is there anything else you'd bring over from the p&p world? I myself have only done online roleplays.
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 2:20 am

Ah I'm a beginning when it comes to pen and paper, I don't have the autism to stick with it through thick and thin.

And it's really just the aspects of developing a world a story that the players can share and one that intrigues them and encourages them to go forward and to participate. Basically, just do everything with a focus on how it affects the players, otherwise it's sort of just one guy wanking and expecting everyone else to watch.

P.S.
A big part of that when it comes to being a DM and leading a good campaign is once again creating hooks. A big part of making a hook is once again creating something that speaks to the player and player character. Like if the PCs are farmers and a witch creates a drought, that's a hook. That's something the PC would most likely not look away from. Another route is directly including part of the PC's backstory directly in the story (which is of course easier when you're only working with like 4 PCs), such as a character that was once oppressed under a monarchy that was overthrown running into that monarch again as he attempts to take over another region. It just sort of really brings the world to life for the player, and encourages them to participate and be engaged in the story.
Back to top Go down
Synapse

Synapse

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 1:33 pm

I don't know, sometimes it's hard to create hooks and shit when you have characters like Val and Zealot which are immortal and shit and can just do whatever the fuck they want because they rolled "I have all the superpowers".
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 1:22 pm

Coming up with shit to fuck up or with powerful characters is like the most fun ever. It's like a nihilist wet dream because it's an exercise in proving the futility of life by poking holes in the strength of even the strongest person. Just thinking about is giving me such a raging

But yeah, that's one thing I thought was a problem, the interpretation of powers. It was a conflict of fairness vs. freedom essentially. The idea was to give people freedom and not stifle their creativity (freeform), but that sort of leaves the system highly open to abuse when the randomosity is on an honor system and the power wiki has a lot of power hub pages where people think "Oh I guess I should just take them all then." At that point you get another problem. You scare off the people that don't want to get shit on by demigods, or you encourage them to cheat the system. By encouraging at certain level of regulation meant to encourage creativity, you'll even the playing field just a little, and scare off only the powertripping assholes that you probably don't want in the first place.

Personally, my system of evening the playing field is sort of a system that reflects real life, combined with plot device equalizers. For instance, imagine a scale of power/criminal activity. At the bottom of that scale, you have a normal kid that shop lifts a piece of gum from a candy store. At most he'll get a slap on the wrist from his parents or get banned from the store. On the other end you have like...Osama Bin Laden having planes flown into a building, killing tons of people. He had entire armies after him, his men killed by advanced technology, and was slaughtered. It's basically self-regulation in the form of physics. The more force you put into a system, the more it pushes back. Serial killing rapists demi-gods are going to constantly have shit on them and trying to ruin their day or kill them, whereas a street level person is going to have a few cops or a street level person after them if they do something wrong at their level.

Send Batman after 'em. With infinite plot armor preptime. (Another pen and paper device, instead of telling a player no, you create a natural wall, like a group of bandits blocking a passage way with dragons and tanks.) If they fight and complain and struggle more than is necessary (basically throwing a tantrum when someone tells them no.) Then they are twinks. Use any definition for that word you want. (Or ask if you only know the one.)
Back to top Go down
Synapse

Synapse

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 9:07 pm

You make some good points, I didn't think about any of that. I did have stronger characters planned for later but for the moment I wanted to create a vast network of NPC characters that were interrelated but that fizzled out pretty quickly. A second goal was to keep Spook's ideas in mind.

The problem with introducing, say, a Darkseid for Zealot's Superman is that he'd be wearing plot armor and would escalate pretty quickly, leaving little time for suspenseful story building.
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 8:34 pm

Yeah, pacing is a total bitch.

What were Spook's ideas?

And having something as an obstacle to limit a character doesn't necessarily mean another character that is just plain stronger than anything before. For instance, a powerful and constant threat for Superman is Lex Luthor. Superman is pretty much invincible, but Lex always manages to prove to be a threat to specifically Superman, often with Kryptonite, but also because Lex puts all of his brainpower behind fucking with Superman because Lex personally has it out for him. If it were Lex vs Flash or Wonder Woman, he'd probably not give two shits and also not have the advantage of Kryptonite and would probably quickly get his shit wrecked. When you only consider physical strength that's when the POWERLEVELS issue happens. A person can have more weaknesses than just the physical, and don't let any asspie convince you otherwise.

And again when you look at comics, you'll notice that there are the normal storylines, and then there are cosmic storylines. You wouldn't see all the characters from either in the other's context because they don't fit together at all. (Kind of like having Hawkeye on a team with Thor and Hulk, in terms of pure strength and endurance anyway.) There's intended to be some separation, my favorite example of a comic calling attention to this fact is in Invincible when a big Galactus like threat is stopped when a hero that only had powers when his twin was near swallowed the cremated remains of his dead brother and completely stomps the big bad. The rest of the heroes were cheering and thinking that the world was going to be safe forever with him around. He had other ideas, however. He found that he could protect the world with little effort and it would almost be a waste of his talents. His last words were "Yes, in fact." And then he flew off into space to handle things that were more appropriate to his power level. He never returned.

Of course that's not ideal for dealing with a player character, however. Unless there are a sufficient number of PCs to construct a separate cosmic level. Though that's not entirely necessary, but once again that depends on how considerate the player is. Superman is capable of wrecking everyone's shit, but he just doesn't, because he's a boyscout.

Annnnd returning to the idea of pacing, it is difficult to build suspense without giving too much away, or applying appropriate pressure to a character without creating a powerscale paradox later on. That's why I took the slow approach to plan development with Vault, and why I explored the posts=experience=power=involvement that would work to eventually push more powerful/experienced/fast moving characters out of realm of the weaker/newer/slower paced characters. I'm not by any means saying it was perfect, it was just an idea for creating some sort of fairness and balance and escaping the MANY comic pitfalls while trying not to stomp on creativity.
Back to top Go down
Synapse

Synapse

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 12:39 am

So how do you suggest implementation? Seperating things like this:

Forum: New York State
Thread 1: Queens
Thread 2: Manhattan
Thread 3: Albany
etc

Or:

Forum: New York City
Thread 1: Upper East Side
Thread 2: Central Park
Thread 3: Union Square

etc

On one hand you want to give the impression that players can go between places easily but that quickly becomes hard to deal with. Which is why we went by city but if we're starting at street level then we need to change. I was toying with separating threads by time period but I couldn't devise a reasonable way to do it.
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 5:53 pm

Well you don't want to put yourself in a position where you can't really handle things. What was the problem with allowing mobility?
And could you explain the time period thing to me?

I sort of like the way the threads were set up already, where it's done by city, with the location described in the first post along with people, locations, and other things of interest outlined. Doing it that way with a little more focus on providing useful details for the player to utilize in making a decision on where to go and what to do when they get there should be really helpful. Basically, once again, you're creating story hooks there by letting them know what elements are important there, and creating immersion by world building.

I was sorta trying to do something like that when I made this thread: https://coniverse.forumotion.com/t58-cape-chanua

In the first post I set up the context, the situation, the location, the tone, theme, etc.
In the second post I outlined different sections of the town with different ongoings, giving the players starting points, more of an idea of how the town was structured, more info on what was going on in the town. (Unfortunately I am piss poor when it comes to setting up geography and world building. I'm better at defining things in terms of people.) I tend to avoid creating a vast land for players to easily become lost end (which is more sandbox style) and instead create a smaller, vaguer context where players can easily become involved with major elements that affect story and plot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

/co/niverse from here
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next