/co/niverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heroes, villains, other stuff that we don't care about.

HomePortalWikiLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

/co/niverse from here

Go down 
+2
Talk D. Preach
Agent 58664
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Agent 58664

Agent 58664

Ultimate /co/niverse Character sheet
Hero Name: Agent 58664
Alter Ego: Chett Manstachio
Main Power: Darkforce Manipulation

/co/niverse from here Empty
PostSubject: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 1:57 pm

I think we can agree the forum is pretty much dead

So where do we go from here?

What caused the decline?
What helped the forum spark up in its heyday?
What might bring in new people?
What might scare away new people?
What level of power should heroes have?
What tone is best to bring people back?

Let's use this topic to plan ahead. It'll be easier to keep track of ideas here than in the chatbox.
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:
Alter Ego: Talk D. Preach
Main Power: Being Preachy

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:23 pm

But I've made tons of threads about this stuff already. The problem was no one was around to post in them.

Judging by the data, I'm going to stick with my original notion that the forum was never really 'alive'.
Half the posts came from a hand full of people. What you had was a niche within a niche. Just a small group of bros hanging out and being bros with little ability for expansion.

But what do I know...I'm only a professional(TM).
Back to top Go down
Zealot
Admin
Zealot

Hero Name: Zealot
Alter Ego:
Main Power: Superhuman Physiology

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 6:58 pm

The decline was caused by people having other stuff to do for small amounts of time, then being unwilling to come back, followed by others not wanting to come because there were too few people. The forum came to fruition in its heyday because it was popular and relatively new. You can get new people, honestly, by just recruiting new people; if you'd like to ask your friends to join, or just recruit on /co/ or /tg/, that'd work. Developed plotlines and extremely privatized roleplay scenarios scare off new people. Less than Galactus is one I've always liked; keeps Superman level available while also having everything from Batman level and down being there, too.

Expansion is possible, just put effort in to recruit and expand it, if you'd like.
Back to top Go down
Sugar Shock

Sugar Shock

Hero Name: Sugar Shock
Alter Ego:
Main Power: Sugar Manipulation

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 9:41 pm

I think what we discussed in the chat was good. A more episodic format so time lines don't get so weird and so it's easier to jump in. More GM activity seems to me like it might be worth something, just to get plots moving along and stuff.

And for sure threads on /co/ and /tg/ and plus4chan to get more people to play with!

The /co/niverse is lots of fun and you guys are awesome friends and I don't want things to die.
Back to top Go down
Agent 58664

Agent 58664

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 10:53 pm

What are some of your favourite aspects of comics?

Should we convert to a universe where lethal-means are nigh-unheard of and deaths are a dime a dozen (the way many real comics work. If it wasn't on screen? They survived. If it was onscreen? Give them a year or two to come back).

If we do an episodic format, yet there are still many long-running plots that may be set up, then would a thread-page limit be advisable? On the one hand, I'll ready 10 pages, but 20+ pages is just... nah. On the other, depending on the characters involved and dialogue, 10 pages can lead to varying degrees of progression (though that may be consistent with normal cartoon progression).

If things never go past bros hanging out, what does everyone think the best way to proceed might be? Lumping the DMing duties on one person could be unfair, but a round-robin setup is established, one might have to deal with slow periods during a busier person's turn.

If things never go past bros hanging out, would it be advisable for each person to (slowly) build up their own rogues/heroes's gallery? (Vault Vs. The Stairmaster, Sugar VS. Justice Dentist).

Other stuff I'm not paying attention too due to my headache?
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 12:18 am

I think it was more of an issue of layout. With an odd layout and the lack of centralized rules and introduction you're stuck with a "you had to be there from the beginning" type of environment.

That stuff sorta changed with some recent changes, but you have to remember that if you want to attract new members you always have to cater to them. What you do for a current member is going to be completely different for what you do for a new member. Layouts will be different, etc.

As far as how to conduct the actual roleplay, I had a thread asking a similar question: https://coniverse.forumotion.com/t71-story-progression

Just like DMing in DnD, you have to incorporate the players into the plot, otherwise it's just storytime with a group of travelers along for the ride. It can't be like a book, or a show, or a vidya game, or they will just go and do that instead. The most appealing styles of roleplay are basically like a super collider. Smash shit together and see what happens. When even the GM is surprised by how things turned out, you know you're getting somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Sugar Shock

Sugar Shock

Alter Ego:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 11:58 pm

I agree with Vault or whatever he's calling himself these days.
Is it sort of unanimous that the thing we maybe need more of is GMs?
Back to top Go down
Synapse

Synapse

Hero Name: Synapse
Alter Ego: Nicholas Eniac / Project S.Y.N.A.P.S.E. Mk III
Main Power: Cyber Mind

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 3:51 pm

My bad guys.

since there's no one in the chat and I can't be assed to make a new thread I'll just go ahead and suggest that more GM activity would entice more players. I was MIA for a while and it sounds like everything went to shit. I think we should try a 6-to-1 player-to-GM ratio and see if that helps.

Not sure what to do with Canada now. The next five locations were going to be Louisiana, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Montana and Virginia. I sort of owe you guys the ability to at least choose which ones you want to see first.

How many people are left, by the way?
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 7:43 pm

Sugar Shock wrote:
I agree with Vault or whatever he's calling himself these days.
Is it sort of unanimous that the thing we maybe need more of is GMs?

I for one like my new name.

Also, there are probably 6 left.

Agent and Shock show up frequently. As do I and Signal. Basset is still lurking around. Then there's you and Zealot.

Back to top Go down
Agent 58664

Agent 58664

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 10:49 pm

I have nothing to contribute, but I am monitoring this thread.
Back to top Go down
Sugar Shock

Sugar Shock

Alter Ego:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 2:56 am

I don't know much about stuff in the states so it's hard to pick. Which US state is the best one?

Also, should the layout be changed at all?
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 12:43 am

Sugar Shock wrote:
I don't know much about stuff in the states so it's hard to pick. Which US state is the best one?

Also, should the layout be changed at all?

I think so.

But I'm anal.
Back to top Go down
O-Girl

O-Girl

Hero Name: O-Girl
Alter Ego:
Main Power: Giant Monster

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 8:59 am

Well, for me, I've got medical concerns that pop up from time to time.

As for /co/niverse, when I was around, it seemed like we only ever had a small number of people ready and rearin' to go, but they were waiting on certain others.

So, I dunno.
Back to top Go down
Agent 58664

Agent 58664

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 7:21 pm

So, running a Shadowrun game in the meta forum with a "1 post / day" guarantee from the GM
Good distraction?
Bad distraction?
Other?
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 1:59 am

I propose a grand reopening.
Back to top Go down
O-Girl

O-Girl

Alter Ego:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 12:38 pm

Talk D. Preach wrote:
I propose a grand reopening.

I'd be down. Maybe. I'd have to see how it went. Seems like a weekly game over IRC or something with like a group of 5 might work better, though.
Back to top Go down
Sugar Shock

Sugar Shock

Alter Ego:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 12:09 am

A grand reopening sounds grand to me!
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 1:05 pm

>/tg/
>HEY I COULD REALLY GO FOR A SUPER HERO FREEFORM
>"Hey, I know one...oh...wait..."
Back to top Go down
Zealot
Admin
Zealot

Hero Name: Zealot
Alter Ego:
Main Power: Superhuman Physiology

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 7:50 am

Man, you have links, and stuff. I get on here every day, and you should have my email. If not, uh-here's my email: zealotryv@gmail.com
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Zealot wrote:
Man, you have links, and stuff. I get on here every day, and you should have my email. If not, uh-here's my email: zealotryv@gmail.com

Linking anyone here now would just result in "wowitsnothing.jpg"

But I'll see what could be done. Maybe. Valve time.
Back to top Go down
Synapse

Synapse

Hero Name: Synapse
Alter Ego: Nicholas Eniac / Project S.Y.N.A.P.S.E. Mk III
Main Power: Cyber Mind

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 2:26 am

Aside from Vault and zealot and presumably Spook if we get a hold of him again, who else still has enough interest in this site to be here for a grand reopening?
Back to top Go down
O-Girl

O-Girl

Alter Ego:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 3:19 am

Me I guess.
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 10:09 pm

http://sixrevisions.com/website-management/how-to-grow-a-community-insights-from-experts/

I'm checking out stuff like this. (It was actually market research for a venture that it turns out that a few other people have already done.) But it's useful anyway!
Back to top Go down
Talk D. Preach

Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 10:13 pm

Also I've been experimenting with some layouts for the site:
http://comicverse.forumotion.com/

Disclaimer: I have no idea how to use forumotion properly or how to design themes. It looks like shit. I mostly focused on the content.

P.S.: As noted in the link in the previous post, I was working with the intention of designing for the newcomer. Those are the ones you have to impress to get them to stay.
Back to top Go down
Sugar Shock

Sugar Shock

Alter Ego:

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 8:02 pm

I'm still 100% on board for the record!

I quite liked seeing all the topics/categories/whatever on the front page but I'm not sure that's newcomer friendly. As it is now it shows the most active topics (from like a month ago) rather than the most recently posted in which I think would be better maybe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: /co/niverse from here   /co/niverse from here Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

/co/niverse from here
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next