Heroes, villains, other stuff that we don't care about.

HomePortalCalendarFAQWikiSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Story Progression

Go down 

Sound good?
Yes
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
No
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Need More Info
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

AuthorMessage
Talk D. Preach

Ultimate /co/niverse Character sheet
Hero Name:
Alter Ego: Talk D. Preach
Main Power: Being Preachy

PostSubject: Story Progression   Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:20 pm

Two ideas here:
  • Administration (Dungeon Masters)
  • Story Telling (Plot Progression)

Administration:

One of the common mistakes managers make when promoted into the position from the floor is that they will keep old habits and try to do everything themselves, returning to intensive manual labor, instead of delegating, planning, organizing, and leading, the functions needed to keep a group organized and working toward a goal. Similarly, fledgling entrepreneurs also make the same mistake when attempting to grow and maintain their small organizations, causing the organization to fail without proper leadership.

Storytelling:
One of the most important parts of a story is the conflict. Conflict drives characters, inspires action, encourages change and growth. This conflict can come from many places, within the character, from the environment, and even from other characters. The force that drives the main character, the antagonist, is often called (if directly opposing the protagonist) the antagonist. When it comes to heroes, a villain is considered the antagonist. This means that the villains are a major driving force for the progression of the characters, story, and plot.

Combining These Ideas:

Taking a look at these ideas together, we get a look at a system that could possibly function for a small organization involving story telling. One person trying to do all the work for a group does not perform as well as an entire group working towards a goal, and a story must progress from one point to another. This means that a system in which the ones in charge of progressing the story delegate ideas and tasks to other people, all focused on achieving one goal, might function well.
This means by involving people in the task of progressing the story, the administrators can have more work done (synergy) with less resources and overall.

Doing this would mean using the resources available to the administrator, namely human resources. Because there is a pool of people acting as villains, aka antagonist, aka major driving forces for plots and characters within a story, administrators can take advantage of this by delegating small tasks and ideas to these villains, along with just enough information of the plot to help them decide the best courses of action, in order to use them to push the plot forward to the desired location.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Vault D. Surge on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Control Rod

Hero Name: Control Rod
Alter Ego: Rod Cragsworth
Main Power: Radiation Manipulation

PostSubject: Re: Story Progression   Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:33 pm

Let's throw a rock at it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: Story Progression   Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:47 pm

Yes yes. Some villains do have amazing ideas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: Story Progression   Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:11 am

Poll added in case you're too shy to voice your opinions, or lazy to type anything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Synapse

Hero Name: Synapse
Alter Ego: Nicholas Eniac / Project S.Y.N.A.P.S.E. Mk III
Main Power: Cyber Mind

PostSubject: Re: Story Progression   Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:17 pm

well, players are free to do whatever they want

I personally don't want to tell players what to do and where to do it and why to do it, but at the same time there are specific roles that certain characters fill out perfectly

for example, Agent is part of a mysterious organization and SS got her powers from a mysterious chinaman and Synapse is just "government property" and there's that whole thing with Signal's powers so there's actually a lot for the GMs to explore

i mean yeah, to run smoothly I or Spook may eventually just tell someone that they have to fulfill this role but how they do so is up to them

If your character is a business tycoon and for whatever reason i decide that you had stocks that made you the CEO of Imaginary-Technology Inc. (bear with me, I know business doesn't work that way), you could run it into the ground, turn it into a monopoly or ignore it entirely

meanwhile, characters have their own goals and they are on your character sheets

I want to eventually help every character achieve their goals or crush them into oblivion depending on which way the entire RP goes. Ir Control Rod decides to blow up Cape Canaveral and ruin any chances of Vault's trillion dollar hypnotic satellite from reaching orbit because Sustan chipped in for it, then tough fucking shit; Vault dies alone and a virgin-end of story. But yes, you will be given opportunities to make it work.

For people who already have an idea of what they want to do with their character, I want to work with you and make it an interesting story for other players, but at the same time I'm not going to just let you straight up nuke Canada. You'd have obstacles like everyone else and your actions have consequences that you may or not be able to see coming.

The real problem is that there are few members, they come and go so in terms of numbers not many GMs are needed. If a player drops out of the forum for a few days then it'd just go on without them. If I have to drop out for a few days then everything comes to a standstill. The inactivity means people check in less often and then everything goes to shit.

tl;dr: fuck you you will scroll up read this shit
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: Story Progression   Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:11 pm

The idea was less about telling the person what to do, and more about giving them the opportunity to steer the progression of the plot by taking care of some minor details within the normal progression of their own character.

Like a big thief could rob a random bank or a big thief can rob a bank that funds a giant robot, delaying its development.

And yes, small organizations work differently from larger organizations. In order to grow you have to think about the processes that work for a larger organization or you'll end up in deep shit.

P.S.

Vault's dying a virgin either way it goes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Synapse

PostSubject: Re: Story Progression   Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:30 pm

robbing a bank is fine if you actually make it clear in your post that you've robbed a bank

as long as you aren't posting other people's replies you can really do whatever you want

i do not care if SS steals a car from a pedestrian that i don't care about and flings it across three states with her ice cream godzilla then flies over there to craft it into a chastity belt

if someone important cares then whichever player owns the car or whatever npc owns the car will react to it

i mean, if you wanted to invent an npc to interact with then that doesn't matter either, i personally only care about plot relevant ones so people can create sidekicks or whatever.

but the threads as of now are mostly about the npcs and the information they have to give to players. In Ontario there's no giant robot but some of the npcs might know about giant robots. i never wrote in nyc but zealot wanted to do stuff with it so i added it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: Story Progression   Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:49 am

No, that example was just meant to show how a character can be used to contribute to an overarching plot while just acting as normal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Synapse

PostSubject: Re: Story Progression   Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:44 am

but you don't know the plot
it's very loose because if it was rigid then it wouldn't be fun
if that's your concern you can just do whatever since the GMs decide what consequences are plot relevant
if it's a good post i will specifically bring it up later
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Talk D. Preach

Hero Name:

PostSubject: Re: Story Progression   Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:50 am

I know, I was saying that details could be given to individuals to help them line up their actions with something that could contribute to the plot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Story Progression   

Back to top Go down

Story Progression
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
/co/niverse :: Out Of Character :: General OOC Discussion-
Jump to: